I know what you are thinking… all the commercials and top athletes say that all you need is Gatorade or Chocolate milk during/after a workout to replenish…and they wouldn’t be wrong right?!
Well here’s the thing; these products are full of both chemicals and refined sugars (and you know how I feel about milk in general)
So what to do? Well, make your own!
It’s super easy and uber effective. And your clean cells will thank you.
** Of course, my favorite all natural replenisher is coconut water but if you are looking for a little more kick this is it.
DIY Energy Gel
- 1/8 cup chia- soaked in 3/4 cup of water
- 1 seedless orange
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- 3/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 serving of electrolyte mix (1/2 tsp salt substitute + 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp dry fruit pectin
- In a blender combine peeled orange and pineapple and blend until smooth
- Combine 1/2 cup of fruit mash with the soaked chia (freeze remaining fruit mash)
- Add brown rice syrup
- Slowly add pectin
- Add Electrolyte mix
- Put it all into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over low to medium heat stirring constantly.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Allow to cool and transfer to an airtight jar.
You can spread this on toast before a race or transfer to a bottle or bag for easy transport during a race.