It used to be that sweet potatoes were always served smothered in brown sugar and butter…ick.
I think they deserve much better than that!
So what’s so special about these colourful tubers? Well for starters they are crazy high in Vitamin A, high enough to contribute up to 90% of your daily requirements.
Not convinced yet? Ok well they are also high in fibre, potassium, Vitamin C, manganese and B6. They contain antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and can even improve blood sugar regulation!
Sweet potatoes are so incredible and versatile that in South America the juice is mixed with lime to create dye for cloth!
Ready to hop on the Sweet Potato train now?! Welcome aboard.
So what’s my favorite way to eat these sweet delights? Mashed with garlic of course.
Garlic Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2-3 Sweet Potatoes
- 2-4 garlic cloves (depends on your love for garlic)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tbls butter
- Rosemary and pepper to taste
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into approx 1 inch pieces (normally I’d say to keep the peel on but to get the super creamy texture for these, you can leave them out)
- Boil in a large pot of water until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Once cooked drain into a colander. Using the same pot heat the butter over med-low heat.
- Add the garlic stirring constantly to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Remove from heat and mix in the sweet potatoes.
- Mash with a masher or fork and then add the almond milk.
- I like to use an immersion blender to really get that creaminess.
- Add a little rosemary or cinnamon and there you have it! A healthy side for almost any meal*.
*may not work with spaghetti