It may be almost Spring but I have been in the mood for comfort food. And what’s more comforting than a nice bowl of chilli?
I love chilli because you can add to it whatever the heck you want. Load that baby up with every vegetable you can think of. Much like soup, only you can’t top a salad with soup…but you can with chilli!
Red Bean Chilli
- 1tbls Olive Oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup corn (can or from the cob- you can roast prior for added flavour!)
- 1 can red kidney beans (you can also use dried beans if your heart so desires)
- 3-5 diced tomatoes
- Spice Mix (cumin, chilli powder, paprika, cayenne-quantities depend on your flavour preference- I typically use a pinch or so of each)
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat
- Add in onions and cook until slightly translucent
- Add celery and continue to cook for a few minutes
- Add corn, tomatoes, and beans, along with all spices and mix
- Continue cooking on medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring often, and then lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Avocado Cumin Dressing
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup either greek yogurt or cottage cheese (the first time around I use cottage cheese, the second time greek yogurt- both are great)
- 1/2 lime, juice only
- pinch of cumin
- small splash olive oil
- Add all into your blender and mix until nice and creamy
Wash and cut your lettuce, I used Romaine. Toss with Avo Cumin dressing, adjusting to taste. Top with Red Bean Chilli. Eat your face off.