About 7 months ago, or maybe longer – time seems to be flying by! – I happened upon The Naked Sprout for lunch. At first I was a little nervous; it’s a vegan / raw restaurant but every item is Gluten free so it was exactly what I needed. At that point I was still very new to the world of meatless fare.
I tried out the Twisted Tacos and my life has never been the same.
I sometimes dream of them.
If you have never, you must!
Fast forward to the other day when I was browsing around Organic Garage (another must if you have never) and came across Live Organic Raw‘s golden flax and corn wrap…I knew immediately what had to be done.
Even if you are a full on meat lover I promise you will LOVE these… try them, what’s the worst that can happen (see warning below)
***warning- the words you are about to read will change you life forever..never again will you be able to eat the likes of regular tacos…proceed with caution.
To make the ‘meat’
- Prep a block of extra firm tofu. Wrap it in some paper towels and then put something heavy on top to press the water out, I used a metal bowl that is currently full of fresh veggies from my garden!
- Once you have pressed out most of the moisture, about 10 minutes, crumble into a bowl.
- Heat 1-2 tbls of coconut oil in a medium sized frying pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is heated add the crumbled tofu.
- While that is cooking up, chop up a handful or two of walnuts.
Make your sauce
In a bowl mix the following together;
- 2 tbls of almond butter (you could probably use any fun nut butter)
- 2 tbls tamari or regular soy sauce
- a pinch of cumin
- a pinch of chili pepper powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- you may want to add a little water to thin it out- you’ll be adding it to the heated pan so it doesn’t need to be too thin!
Next, add walnuts to tofu.
Once crispy add sauce and stir in.
I used mashed avocado, tomato, lettuce, and Greek yogurt. I also added some sunflower sprouts
Pile it all up on your Live Organic Raw wrap and allow the party in your mouth to begin.